First Round, East Regional
Texas Longhorns versus Minnesota Gophers
Thursday, March 19, 2009, 6:10pm
With the tip-off of Texas’s first round match up against Minnesota about a day away, here is a bevy of links to previews of the game. (See my own prediction below the links.)
- NCAA Tournament Regional Ramblings: The East
- Texas Basketball vs. Minnesota Opening Round Preview
- It’s Gopher Season
- A Look at the Texas Bracket
Burnt Orange Nation
- Bracket Breakdown: East Regional
- Morning Coffee Is Ready To Play Whack-A-Gopher
- Texas Draws #7 Seed In East, Will Face Minnesota Thursday
- Probing The Enemy: The Daily Gopher
The Austin American Statesman
The Houston Chronicle
- Longhorns face Minnesota in first round
- Horns aren’t new to this: Experience helps Barnes take a calm approach
The Dallas Morning News
- Texas, Texas A&M have tough road to NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16
- Pittman’s role is now what’s huge at Texas
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Temple Daily Telegram
Burnt Orange Beat
Minneapolis/St. Paul City Pages
- Minnesota Gophers are underdogs against Texas in NCAA tournament first round
- It’s now or never for Minnesota Gophers men’s basketball team
- Tom Powers: In order for Gophers to win, they must play physical Big Ten basketball
From the Barn
The Fourth Strike
The Daily Gopher
I’ll update this list as additional previews come in tonight and Thursday.
So, what am I expecting from the game?
I agree with Trips Right of Barking Carnival that Texas matches up very well against Minnesota. On the other hand, Texas has already lost this season to worse teams.
Texas has been a confusing and frustrating team this season, playing great one night, and horribly the next. And more than once, we’ve done both in the same night.
If Texas can press the tempo to chew into the relatively short Minnesota bench and keep Pittman out of foul trouble inside, we should be fine.
But don’t expect Texas to put away Minnesota early. The Gophers will likely hang around longer than any of us would like, and if Texas doesn’t finish well (something that has been a problem this season), we could be one and done.