Shark Week 2017 has come to a close, and my wife and I have almost made it through all the episodes on the DVR. Earlier this evening, she pointed out that every show on Shark Week has the same basic structure:
- Describe horrible tragedy or scientific unknown pertaining to sharks.
- Spend 20 minutes on background information.
- Launch major quest to explain the tragedy or discover the unknown.
- Be unable to find what they’re looking for, but see lots of other interesting things.
- Oh, no! They’re almost out of time!
- At the last moment before the storm hits, the batteries on the sensor run out, or the cast has to report for Sharks After Dark, they find what they’re looking for.
While this list doesn’t apply to the infamous fake science episodes of years past, it sounds about right to me.