FaceTime is Apple’s video calling solution for the iPhone 4. My buddy Paul G. and I have been testing it over the last week or so. The high video quality has been fairly consistent, even when downloading and uploading files on the same network as the phone call.
The delta-based compression creates artifacts if the subject or background are moving, but that is to be expected.
Overall, we were both impressed, especially considering it is a first generation product. We did, however, have the following wishlist of items to be improved or added:
1. No equivalent MacBook, PC, etc. app for dialing for those of us who do not have an iPhone 4? This could go a long way towards making FaceTime an industry standard.
2. The phone needs some kind of stand. Long conversations get wearisome and I want to free my hands.
3. I want a 3G ‘unrestricted’ version of this (say hello to hax0r), so I can use Facetime WHERE EVER I am…not just on a WiFi connection. Not offering this is just stupid. It would increase usage which would increase the revenue from AT&T’s data plans. Fring is attempting to fill this niche, so Apple had better hurry.
4. Fingers & hands: if you hold the top and bottom you are killing the microphone and speaker…and don’t give me that Steve Jobs answer.
5. This is a female-centric comment: the fish-eye lens adds 10-15lb. And will not be adopted readily by the female community. Fix it or add some feature to change aspect.
6. No ‘pinch’, no zoom?!?
7. Would be nice if it could be coupled with some sort of text messaging system, so that links and such could be sent.